REVIEWS

I believe movies are the literature of our times. Like books, they tell a story. Unlike books, however, movies employ almost all of our senses. It allows us to actively choose our pleasure. I disagree with those who say movie viewing is passive. Nothing is passive when creativity is involved. We participate with our eyes, ears, brain and heart.

This blog contains my published reviews that appear frequently in The Sun and other MetroWNY publications. I will also add new content not published in the papers. My critiques will deal with not only movies but television, recordings, concerts, theater and other cultural - pop or otherwise - events.

I welcome feedback and debate. I would wholeheartedly enjoy a "conversation" with any reader who agrees or disagrees with my reviews.

Thanks for reading.

Participate


Friday, January 31, 2014

August: Osage County

Broadway to Hollywood


(The Sun) HAMBURG —
Saturday January 18, 2014


 August: Osage County by
Tony Baksa
Tracy Letts is an actor/playwright. He is a very good actor and a superb pl...aywright. His Tony Award winning play has been turned into a rather riveting movie starring the equally riveting Meryl Streep. Costarring is a bunch of heavy hitters – all turning in top performances. Julia Roberts leads the pack along with Chris Cooper, Dermot Mulroney, Ewan McGregor, Sam Shepherd and Juliette Lewis.

What Letts has penned is an episode in the life of a family in Oklahoma, the Westons, suffering from extreme dysfunction. The old saying comes to mind; “Everything but the kitchen sink”. I would modify this pertaining to the film - “Everything plus the kitchen sink”. I mean, name it and this family has it. Yet, despite this excess of dysfunction or perhaps because of it, “August: Osage County” is a moving and very entertaining opus.

Front and center is Violet Weston (Streep) - a ball of nerves, weakness, strength and a pulsating mean streak a mile long. Strong-willed matriarch Violet has three grown daughters and a poet husband (Sam Shepherd). The daughters are as different as rock, scissors, and paper. Karen (Juliette Lewis) who lives in Florida flits from one man to another desperately searching for stability. Barbara (Julia Roberts) lives in Colorado with her 14 year old daughter. She seems the most grounded of the sisters although she displays traits dangerously close to her demeaning volatile mother. Ivy (Julianne Nicholson) is the only daughter who has remained home in Oklahoma – unmarried, shy, secretive and shimmering with an aura of sadness.

The family gathers from all parts including spouses and children after the family patriarch goes missing, then is found dead – drowned near his fishing boat. There is some hint that it may have been suicide. This is the dramatic jumping off point of the film so please rest assured that I am not giving anything away. This device of a family gathering after the death of a father is a familiar theatrical cliché - but what a powerful spring board to rich drama and comedy.

The movie is a verbal symphony of rage, sarcasm, humor and eloquence. Streep delivers an emotionally charged monologue near the end of the film about a Christmas present she received as a child that left me breathless. We see why Violet has become such an emotionally broken person - where the seed was planted. It is fortunate that playwright Letts adapted his play for the screen. His writing is not unlike Eugene O’Neill with touches of Edward Albee here and there. There is another monologue delivered by Chris Cooper as Violet’s brother-in-law that is equally powerful and, for me, uncovers the buried soul of this hurting family.

Dark secrets and surprising revelations abound. Mother and daughters lash out verbally and physically - shockingly so. There are plenty of laughs – but another saying comes to mind “It only hurts when I laugh” Despite the comedic quips that are sprinkled throughout – mostly by Streep – this is not a comedy. It is a serious portrait of a family afflicted with a legacy of meanness. These are good people behaving badly. They are all in conflict with their sordid history.

Let me reiterate, despite the serious subject matter, “August: Osage County” is very entertaining. Meryl Streep gives arguably the bravest performance of her illustrious career playing a woman that one would be hard pressed to like. She pulls it off brilliantly straight through to her final devastating moments.

August: Osage County is currently in theaters everywhere.

11 comments:

  1. Your reviews are excellent Tony,I look forward to seeing this movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Julia Roberts did a great job- one of her best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - I don't always like her, Mary but this role shows she can act.

      Delete
  3. Tony, your review painted an interesting picture in my mind which causes me to become curious about a movie which I would probably have passed by. Your review series is something that I now look forward to each week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Tony! Saw it on Bway and hadn't planned to see the movie, but now I think I will! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael - glad my review is sending you to the movie

      Delete
  5. Thanks all for your comments. Movies are one of my passions. I'm glad I can perhaps inspire you to see movies I personally find worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was fortunate enough to see August: Osage County this past Thursday. I laughed, cried and even felt deep sadness for this tormented family. My eyes never left the screen in fear of missing something. I waited, what seemed a long time, to watch this brilliantly made movie. I was not disappointed. I do agree that Meryl Streep performed her best. I recently watched an interview with Meryl Streep. She said that all the actors lived in adjoining condos while making the movie and spent everyday together to help give more realistic performances on screen. That idea certainly worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that interview. It was a tight ensemble - fireworks!

      Delete