REVIEWS

I believe movies are the literature of our times. Like books, they tell a story. Unlike books, however, movies employ almost all of our senses. It allows us to actively choose our pleasure. I disagree with those who say movie viewing is passive. Nothing is passive when creativity is involved. We participate with our eyes, ears, brain and heart.

This blog contains my published reviews that appear frequently in The Sun and other MetroWNY publications. I will also add new content not published in the papers. My critiques will deal with not only movies but television, recordings, concerts, theater and other cultural - pop or otherwise - events.

I welcome feedback and debate. I would wholeheartedly enjoy a "conversation" with any reader who agrees or disagrees with my reviews.

Thanks for reading.

Participate


Sunday, September 6, 2015

It's never "just a movie" anymore


It’s Just a Movie – a commentary by Tony Baksa 8/27/2015
                                    


People say it all the time. I have said it. “It’s just a movie”. In fact, much of the time movies are more than just flickering images with clever dialogue. We are moved emotionally and intellectually by movies. We gain a social conscience. We learn so much through film. Sometimes a movie can help us come to terms with personal issues. “It’s just a movie” no longer applies if it ever did.

Case in point - two movies I recently watched on DVD and Netflix :

As I age I am acutely aware of death. I hate that word DEATH. It is so final. According to spiritualists as well as many religious teachings, death is not final. There is the other side - the afterlife. I love believing in the afterlife. I am in love with the idea. Yet, I ask myself, what is it I really believe?

I watched a movie two days ago that has thrown me into this age old quandary. It was a beautifully sad movie about true love entitled "Amour". It depicts an old couple in their final days - a long married very accomplished duo with so much to live for. I should say, so much to remember - so much to cherish - but already lived. They are both experiencing serious health issues but they have each other and are surrounded by the many things that mean so much to them. However, in the end aren't they just things? What seems to matter is the present and how they deal with two strokes, bad nurses, an inability to talk, walk and bathe without help. These once strong vibrant people are also dealing with peculiar signs at their door - scratches and marks left by what seems to be a screwdriver - an attempt to break into their home - this home with so much history. To end a wonderful life in such an un-wonderful way is the tragedy and so unfair.

This film devastated me as much as a movie can. Of course it isn't true devastation. It is simply my response to a great film. It is a great film but I will not see it again. Movies, books, theater are there to entertain, teach sometimes and illuminate our lives. "Amour" made me look at what I know but mostly what I don't know - and that is scary. And that is why I cannot view this masterpiece again. However, I do not regret seeing it. Its lesson was so potent and like any work of art it will not be forgotten.

In "Hannah and Her Sisters" Woody Allen plays a man searching for the meaning of life - actually more so the meaning of death. He is so disturbed in his search that he tries out all the religions known to man for answers. It, of course, is comic. Finally he realizes that no answers are forthcoming. He is deeply frustrated and goes to his elderly father for words of wisdom. He asks his dad why must we die - where do we go - is there life after death - what are the truths? His dad answers, "Why worry - there's nothing you can do about it - so relax - live - forget about it and just live. What will happen will happen."  This releases Woody and as the film winds down, our hero finds a happy way to live without the burden of his personal doomsday fears.

I recall after seeing "Hannah" a great feeling of relief because I, like Woody, lived with the constant search for life's answers.

Here, then, are two films so opposite in tone – one a comedy the other a tragedy – both with lessons to be learned - two movies that seemed to speak directly to me. To be highly entertained and enriched – to laugh and cry and gain profound insight is the gift a good movie provides. Is it “just a movie”? Not always and we are the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment